Friday, January 28, 2011

Ba-bump… Ba-bump… Ba-bump…

The last few days have been especially exhausting for me. As you may have read, my Grandmother passed away last weekend. On Wednesday we had her visitation and the funeral on Thursday morning. Pregnancy in itself makes me more tired than I’ve ever known, and it will probably take a few days to recover from the last two.

However, in the midst of sadness and death for my family, I experienced another “first” in my pregnancy. On Wednesday morning, I had my 2nd OB appointment at Baptist Hospital. I didn’t know what to expect, so I had Neal go to work like normal and I went by myself. Leaving the appointment, I wished so badly that Neal could have made it.

We had the normal question and answer session. I confessed my love for tuna and my heartbreak over not being able to eat it anymore. We talked about the other perils of pregnancy and then… she pulled out something that looked like my first karaoke machine. It was a lil’ box with what looked like a microphone attached. It’s a miracle machine, I now call it.

I got to hear our baby’s heartbeat for the very first time!

(Oooo! I just got chills even writing that sentence.)

In a time where I’m mourning the loss of my Grandmother, God showed me again the circle of life. Where one person has passed, another will soon enter this world. Hearing that heartbeat brought much needed love and peace to my heart. As I prepared for her visitation on Wednesday, I was overwhelmed with sense of hope of where my Grandmother is now, and where my baby has come from.

I don’t like to get all preachy and soft, but it was a very special moment in a time where I needed it the most. And I couldn’t help but think that my Grandmother was probably hearing that very same heartbeat in a world a million miles away.

~Jenn

2 comments:

  1. I know I'm a little late reading this but I do believe I just teared up. It was beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete