Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pregnancy Over Share

When I first announced that I was pregnant, I had several moms suggest to me what books to read and what books NOT to read. The verdict was split – about half suggested the ever so common “What to Expect when you’re Expecting” and the other half said run away from that book... run as fast as you can.

Those that did not recommend the book said that it scared them into every paranoia that a first time mom did not need. I followed this group’s advice, but that did not save me from the same diagnosis the internet will give you.

Well, now here I am just over 4 months pregnant and I’ve got friends asking me about doula’s and mucus plugs. WTF?! Apparently if I had read that dreaded book, I’d be all up on that stuff by now. Instead, I made myself google these things and had a relapse of morning sickness. (Note to self: I really need to toughen up.)

Now I’ve surrounded myself with books that teach me about pregnancy and make me laugh at the same time. My mom bought me a book called “Exploiting My Baby” by Teresa Strasser. It stemmed from her blog she wrote when she was pregnant with her first child. I’m only a little into it so far, but I identify with her in a lot of what she writes about. She has quest for pregnancy knowledge, but also has a twisted humor about it, too. I believe this book will be much better for my pregnancy nerves then those others ones that will make you believe you have a higher chance of a two-headed baby with rabies.




My mom read the whole book first and would call and ask me to ask if I’ve done similar things to the writer. For instance, like googling every symptom I had. I went back and looked at my google search history and I’ve even freaked myself out with the things I’ve researched. (But we all know that Google will not fail you.)

Even being a seasoned mother, my mom found a lot of humor in it, and I’m glad she shared it with me. It proves that I’m not the only soon-to-be-mom with quirks.

~Jenn

2 comments:

  1. I only used the What to Expect book as reference when I had a question...am not much into self-help books myself. One pregnancy book that was educational AND had me laughing out loud was The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy....hilarious and an easy read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just don't WebMD anything about symptoms. You always have cancer, or AIDS, or in your case, perhaps "a two-headed baby with rabies".

    ReplyDelete