Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Maternity Clothes

My in-laws gave me a gift card to the “Motherhood Maternity” store for my Birthday. I don’t know what possessed me to actually go there on my Birthday, but I did. If you know me, you know that I don’t care to shop, even when I’m at my thinnest and in the very best mood. But I had to bite the bullet because I only have two pairs of pants that fit right now – a pair of grey trouser pants for work and a pair of fitted sweat/yoga pants for the weekend. I’m pretty sure people are judging me at work for wearing the same pair of pants every day, so when I can, I wear my other pair of black work pants and just leave the tops unbuttoned. Not classy and very uncomfortable.

Shopping for clothes right now is a hot mess. I don’t look pregnant to anyone, but I’m pooched out enough that my current pants don’t fit. Maternity clothes look a little funny on me, as if I’m trying to cover up a recent, unexplained weight gain. However, the pants are heaven, in terms of comfort.

I was able to scour the clearance racks and get some nice cotton, light weight dresses for the summer. I’ve decided I’ll probably live in dresses this summer. Pants are too constricting and hot, and the dresses I got are really cute. Again, they’re a little big, but I tried on detachable pregnancy stomach and it looked funny, but believable. I’m guessing that’s what I’ll look like in 2 months time or so. Now if the rest of my body would stay the same size and only grow in the tummy area, I’ll be happy. (Wishful thinking.)

This interim period is really frustrating. I’m 15 weeks along, and starting to feel better physically, but the tummy isn’t catching up like I’d like it to. But I’ve been told to enjoy it while I can because in a few months I’ll wish I looked the way I do now. I’m trying to relish every moment of it, but its hard when only three outfits look half way decent.

~Jenn

2 comments:

  1. Yesss! I loved wearing maternity clothes. Sure, I had a limited selection, but I was so comfy. I lost a ton of weight before getting pregnant, so I was able to wear all of my "fatty" clothes up to about 6 months. Good call on getting dresses. I wish I had more maternity dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding!? I ordered some maternity clothes online before I ever even went to the doc to verify! I love(ed) my maternity clothes. Chris was scared I would never quit wearing my "stretchy" pants. I do agree though that from about 15 to 20 weeks is frustrating as far as looks and clothes go. I wanted to stop every one and tell them I'm pregnant not poochy.

    ReplyDelete