Thursday, August 18, 2011

Deliver me, Lord

So it's been 10 whole days since Baby Neal Michael came into this world. On one hand, it feels like it was just yesterday and sometimes it feels like I've been doing this for weeks already.

Monday, August 8th, was an interesting day to say the least. Neal and I reported to Baptist Hospital at 4:30am and I was induced at about 6am. I had already started contractions the night before, but my doctor was disappointed that I had not dilated anymore over two weeks time. Not only that, the baby was turned upside down and had not "dropped" far enough. The doctor said with the combination of those things, she was leaning towards a possible c-section but wanted to see what a few hours of pitocin and labor would do. I was very upset with the idea of c-section because it had never entered my mind. This whole pregnancy had been "textbook" for the most part and I guess in my mind, I figured the delivery would be the same. However, after several hours of labor, the baby was not progressing anymore and neither was I.

By lunchtime, there was still no change and my doctor once again said the contractions pattern and every else was pointing to a c-section. I spent the entire day praying that God's will be done. I was so scared of a c-section, but I also knew that my doctor had to do everything possible to keep me and the baby safe. I swear to you that in an hours time, everything changed. I went from 4cm to 9cm, the baby completely turned around, dropped and after 50 minutes of pushing and his umbilical cord being wrapped around his neck THREE TIMES, Neal Michael came into the world at 2:59pm weighing 8 pounds 10.6 ounces and measuring 20.5 inches long. But best of all, he was healthy.
Meeting Neal Michael for the first time.
My doctor said it was a miracle of the human body and there was no other way to explain how my body did everything it needed to in an hour. Well, I say its a God thing. There is no other way to explain how everything turned around for us. I am thanking God for how things went that day. I will swear on my life that He's the only reason our delivery turned out like it did.

It was a fast labor and relatively easy, after the epidural of course. Baby Neal arrived safe and sound and healthy as all get out. We spent a few days in the hospital and now here we are in our loving home in Hendersonville, trying to adjust to this new path in our lives. There have been a few sleepless nights and some lively days, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Daddy Neal and Baby Neal just after he was born!
 Being a mother is something I cannot explain. Just saying "I'm a mother" sounds surreal. But after a very long 41 1/2 weeks, there was nothing better than seeing my baby for the first time. He's beautiful. Perhaps I'm partial, but he absolutely is a beautiful baby. He has a head full of auburnish hair and big blue eyes, like his dad. He has full lips like me, 10 long fingers and 10 perfect toes. Even when he's screaming at me, hes gorgeous.

Keeping this blog during my pregnancy has been wonderful. I like to think of it as a great way to reflect back on my first pregnancy and a way to keep stories for baby Neal one day. Now we're onto another great blog... one of a first time mom and dad in welcoming this precious life into our world. So stay tuned. Lord only knows the stories that will follow!

Meet Baby Neal Michael!
~Jenn... the newest member of the MILF club. (Or so my husband says.)


  1. LOVE this and love you!! Can't wait to meet Neal Michael :)

  2. Jenn, tears are in my eyes for you. I am so proud of you and so excited for you to ride the wonderful roller coaster that is parenthood. It is miraculous. I thank God every day for my little miracle, who btw was born via c-section much to my displeasure. ;) (it wasn't that bad..haha!) I am so glad your birth plan went well and Baby Neal is GORGEOUS!!!!! Gotta love a newborn. Hope b-feeding is going well :)