Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Milk does a body good!

The fear of the unknown is starting to set in.

What will childbirth feel like?
Should I get an epidural?
What are the best diapers to get?
I thought colic was a vegetable?
Contractions or Braxton Hicks?
Breastfeeding do’s and don’ts?
Will the room be ready?
Will we get all we need before he gets here?
WHEN will he get here?!

And that’s just to name a few…

However, I think some of these fears will be relieved soon enough. Neal and I are attending our first class on Friday. Because we’ve chosen to breastfeed, our doctor suggested a class at Baptist Hospital all about breastfeeding. We go on Friday night, and truthfully we don’t know what to expect from the class, but I’m hoping a lot of my questions and anxieties will be relieved.

It’s always surprising to me how many people ask me if I’ll breastfeed. I thought maybe it was personal question, but I’m learning fast that it’s a common pregnancy topic. Honestly, I’ve never questioned my desire to breastfeed. Both Neal and I were breastfed babies, and I think my husband borderlines on brilliant and I’m not so bad myself. I know research and studies support that it’s the best things for the bonding experience, for antibodies and immune health and not to mention its cheaper. Those are a just a few of many pro’s to breastfeeding.
But deep down, I just feel like it’s the right and natural thing to do.

Case in point…
Neal and I were driving down a country road last weekend and passed a horse farm. We pulled up next to the white picket fence and watched these beautiful baby horses awkwardly stand next to their mothers. And then they started to feed. How do those babies know to do that? Those horses didn’t take classes or instruction from people. They just do it. Because it’s nature. I mean, why else would the female body be able to produce milk? To me, there’s never been any question that this would be our plan. I just hope its baby Neal’s plan too.
Feed me momma!

So that class is on Friday night. I’m looking forward to it and hoping Neal isn’t too scarred by the experience. I’ve heard all sorts of horror stories about watching “graphic” videos from the 80’s and secretly I’m sure the men are hoping for a real live example. Haha. Sick, I know. I’ll have to update yall next week once we’ve taken it.

~Jenn

2 comments:

  1. YAY for breastfeeding! I am still nursing Keagan and he is 11 months now (although hoping he will wean soon!). It has been an absolutely wonderful experience. I wouldn't have it any other way! It is tough and it takes work, but it is so rewarding and it becomes second nature. The best part: it is perfectly made for baby so you don't have to question it! YOU GO GIRL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another plus: All the women I've met who breastfed for the first 6 months lost the baby weight gain a lot quicker. BONUS!!! :)

    ReplyDelete